Monday, December 29, 2014

The Year in Review…2014

“Painting is really hard, It’s about accepting your limitations but reaching for the moon.”
                                                                                          -Damian Hirst

Click on photos to make bigger.

I see facebook posts each of our year’s in review. They don’t seem to go back very far though, or show what was important to us. So here is my 2014 in ART.
The year started with the last of Messin’ with the Masters at the Mesa Contemporary Art Museum. I have to say that was pretty cool. To top it off was when their acquisition comity took one of my paintings into their permanent collection. Thanks go to Colette Pecenka and Tiffany Fairall for their help.

The Birth of Marilyn...left at MCA Museum

As for other group shows I was one of the ones selected for the Arizona Artist’s Collective’ s first juried exhibit “Freedom & Justice for Art” at  {9} The Gallery and my piece was used for the invitation.
The Invitation

New City Studio included me in there Perceived Reality: The Art of the Self Portrait show and used my painting for their promotions including a poster.

My Painting as Poster...right

Last but not least I was once again honored by Randy Slack to be included in Chaos Theory 15, at Legend City. Unfortunately I couldn’t make the opening because I had plans to be in New York at that time. I did get to see a Toulouse-Lautrec show at MoMA and the Jeff Koons show at the old Whitney. I still have mixed feelings about Koons.
The Fashionistas...left at Legend City

Speaking of Randy Slack it was nice to get to see his early work at his one man show at the Lures City Center.

Another honor was when my wife and I received an invitation to Colin Chillag & Jenna Dunkin’s wedding reception.

May they always have those smiles.


 Best of all was Kristin Shears inviting me to have a one person exhibit at her Willo North Gallery.
Willo North Gallery

This turned out good in that Amy Young reviewed it in Java Magazine and the ubiquitous Nicoll Royce wrote it up in LocalRevibe Magazine. Nicole also covered me in East Valley Magazine and Yab Yum. Like I said she seems to be everywhere, beside all her wrighting she curates at monOrchid, Willo North and makes art. (See links below.) I was also invited to show at Colorida Gallery in Lisban, Portigal, but the expense was all on me. Being cost prohibitive I declined.
The bad part of the year was having a TIA that left the function of my right side off kilter. So I’ve been learning to paint anew.  Hence the quote at the top. I think I need to get back to more drawing. Then there was getting my review rejected by ArtNews…J

So fare it looks like I'll be in at least 2 group shows coming in 2015


http://javamagaz.com/June2014Page16and17.html

http://localrevibe.com/lets-get-cinematic-larry-willis-willo-north/

No comments:

Post a Comment