Friday, December 19, 2014

 Talking Heads Rouchenberg cover

Why The Music Touched Me.

There have been several bands or artists that have affected and influenced me in certain ways through the years. Most of all it was that they seemed to be having fun doing what they were doing. They each in one way or another made me want to be in that band or be them. They left me wanting more. All had some connection to art, whether it was attending art school, using artist for their covers or having an artistic bent.
The First was the BEATLES. Like so many others at the time when I saw them on Ed Sullivan I wanted to be in a band like so many others. What I liked about them was the harmonies & the melodies tied to a rock beat. They were a good cover band too, as seen on their first few albums. Before them Radio was fodder for the masses. They and the British bands in their wake changed everything. So I started a band with my neighbors Jim Carson who already played lead guitar and next door Gary who took up guitar. I was left to the drums. We knew little about bass, but we had fun. It didn’t hurt that they had art school connections and pop artist did two of there covers.

Later my friend Steve Smith got me hooked on ROD STEWART when he was with Jeff Beck. When Stewart went on to do his own stuff it was his use of unconventional instruments like the mandolin, acoustic slide and banjo that hooked me. It was especially that extraordinary voice. I wanted to sing like that so I tried gargling with brandy to get it. In the end it was really the feeling he had that did it. This was of course before Clive Davis led him astray. I was in a band at this time that was more bluesy rock & roll with a Stones, Faces influence named Samurai. Jim was Lead guitar again in that band, my brother was the bass player. Of all the bands I was in this one was a lot of fun.
DAVID BOWEY came along at right time for me. At the time of Ziggy Stardust I wanted more so I searched out his earlier stuff. His main influence at that time was lyrics since the band I was in which was an extension of Samurai was more progressive and going for a jazz influence.We were called Spooo. We were too smart for our own good. My brother was the bass player in that band. Ralf, one f the guitarists is still a close friend.

It was when the TALKING HEADS came along that I started getting into rhythm and new wave. Their was something fresh about them. Again there was an art school connection they met at the Long Island School of Design and Robert Rauschenberg did a cover for them.
I had quit music by this time but they were an influence on the paintings I was doing at the time.

This brings me to LUCIUS. I discovered this band while researching Belgian pop painter Evelyn Axell. I found them because Axell did their first album cover. They have everything I saw in the other bands, five singers for the harmonies/voices, rhythm tied to melodies and a joy that comes across in their live shows. I like their choice of cover tunes also. Their instrumentation is unconventional and uses slide guitar. Like the others they look like a band I would like to be in, but I don’t know what I would do, all they seem to lack is a bass. I guess they know little about bass, but it looks like they are having fun. Again a band one wants to be a part of, I don't know what I would do though, I play drums and they are a drummers dream.  They too seem to know little about bass. I like there retro look and stance also.

One side of me wants to keep an artist as my secret, but then I think everyone should hear them…the dilemma. I do hope they get as big as the others.




Peter Blake Beatles Cover

No comments:

Post a Comment